All orders are sent from Los Angeles via FedEx overnight, FedEx Ground, or local delivery. For all Shipping & Delivery information click here
What People Are Saying
Shipping & Delivery
Yarra Valley Caviar
Yarra Valley Caviar is an export approved boutique fresh water aquaculture farm located at the base of the Rubicon River in the Yarra Valley region of rural Victoria, Australia. Enjoy a softer more palatable pearl that melts in your mouth and accentuates the taste buds with a crisp salty burst of flavor.
Champion of the Sydney Royal Fine Food Show 2019, Yumbah Greenlip Abalone thrives in the pristine Antarctic waters that flow into the Australian Great Southern Ocean. These extremely cold temperatures create the perfect conditions for Greenlip Abalone to thrive.
Champion at the Sydney Royal Fine Food Show 2019
Greenlip Yumbah Abalone with Pancetta & Yarra Valley Caviar
- 1 x 7pc Greenlip Abalone, defrosted 12 hrs earlier
- 1lbs pancetta (uncut), or bacon - uncut
- 1 x 100g (3.5oz) Jar Atlantic Salmon Caviar
- Micro greens (optional)
- Defrost and prepare the abalone following the ‘Defrosting Instructions’ and ‘Abalone Preparation’ below. However, do not yet slice the Abalone.
- Heat a nonstick pan until warm. Do NOT use any oil. Then place the pancetta/bacon on the pan and turn down to a low-medium heat. If the meat begins to curl, place a heavy saucepan on top of the meat to hold it down.
- Cook for about 4 -5 minutes each side. Then remove from the pan and allow to cool and become crispy. Keep the remaining fat in the pan.
- Using the same pan, add the abalone (unsliced) fat side down and leave for about 5 minutes until the back side is warm to touch. Then turn over and cook for a further 4 minutes. There should be a slight gold color on the edge.
- Carefully remove from the pan and thinly slice. The center of the abalone should be warm to touch and be a light white opaque color.
- Place neatly back in the shell for presentation, and sprinkle the crispy pancetta over the tope.
- Finally, add a generous amount of Yarra Valley Atlantic Caviar over the top. Sprinkle with micro greens, then serve immediately.
All Yumbah frozen abalone should ideally be thawed slowly. Under no circumstance should abalone be force-thawed in hot or warm water or in a microwave. Only use recommended defrosting methods (see below). Once abalone is thawed, wash product thoroughly in cold fresh water prior to shucking.
Rest the front of the spoon or spatula against the muscle attached to the inside top of the shell. Move the spoon or spatula inward, cutting the connecting muscle close to the shell.
TRIM & CLEAN
Remove the meat from the shell. Using a sharp knife, trim the gut away from abalone meat and remove hard mouthparts.
DRY & SLICE
Using a paper towel, remove excess moisture. Slice the meat and cook as desired. Click here for popular Yumbah Abalone recipes!
Trim & Clean
Dry & Slice
Only use recommended defrosting methods (see A and B below) on Yumbah frozen abalone. Thawing in HOT, WARM OR AMBIENT WATER OR IN A MICROWAVE may lead to tissue damage (meat structure breakdown). Do not cook the frozen abalone or abalone not completely defrosted.
A) Slow Thaw - Refrigerator Defrosting: (Best for all cooking methods)
Remove frozen abalone from the box and bag. Place frozen abalone with shell down on trays in the refrigerator. Defrost abalone in the refrigerator (set at 2°C to 6°C / 35°F to 43°F) for approximately 24 hours until the abalone is completely defrosted and the abalone’s core temperature is the same temperature as the refrigerator.
B) Fast Thaw - Iced Water Defrosting - (Not suitable for boiling the abalone)
Mix 10 liters (2.64 gallons) cold water, 1kg (2.2046lbs) of ice cubes and 350 grams (~12.34oz) of salt, until the water is < 3°C (37°F) and salt is dissolved. The ratio can be altered for smaller quantities - (10:1:0.350). Remove frozen abalone from plastic bag and place into icy water shell side down in a single layer for 4.5 hours, stir the water regularly. Add extra ice as required to maintain water temperature at less than 3°C (37°F) for full 4.5 hours.
Cook and/or consume immediately after defrosting and remove any shell fragments before consumption.
Yumbah abalone has delicate flesh and we suggest cooking at a temperature of 70°C / 148°F. Excessive cooking time and temperature can lead to meat shrinkage, especially when cooking our smaller abalone (less than 71 g / 2.5 oz).
Why Choose Yarra Valley Caviar & Yumbah Abalone
You Might Also Like
The best of what Australia has to offer - the finest Greenlip Abalone meets Australia's most awarded Wagyu beef. Enjoy two silver Kerwee Wagyu Ribeye steaks, alongside two packs of 7 piece Yumbah abalone. Perfect for all celebrations.
Award winning Kerwee Wagyu meets premium King Salmon from the pristine waters off New Zealand. Spoil your loved ones or see for yourself why this is one of our most popular bundles yet.
Experience the ultimate surf and turf at your own home. Award winning Kerwee Kiwami Ribeye meets one of the sea's greatest delicacies. Best shared or bought as a gift, this bundle perfect for those who like the best from both worlds - land & sea.