Kerwee Beef Thai Salad
May 19, 2020
Nahm Dtok - Grilled Kerwee Beef Thai Salad
(nahm dtok means water falling as in the juice in the steak)
This is a simple and healthy summer salad. The contrast of fresh and zingy raw salad ingredients pairs perfectly with the subtle wagyu flavors from the Kerwee Kiwami Rost Biff. The Wagyu can be cooked on the grill or pan seared.
Serves 2 substantial dishes OR 4 side dishes
1 x 20oz Kerwee Kiwami Rost Biff Steak
2 lemongrass sticks, outer layer removed and thinly sliced
5 kaffir lime leaves*, stems removed and thinly sliced
2 Jalapeno red chili
2 red shallots
2 cups mint
2 cups cilantro
2 cups Thai (sweet) basil*
6 tbsp lime juice
6 tbsp fish sauce*
2 tbsp white sugar
1/2 tsp chili flakes
1/2 cup glutinous rice (or sticky rice)
2 Wedges Green Cabbage or Iceberg Lettuce
1. Combine the lime juice, fish sauce, white sugar and chili flakes in a bowl. The dressing should be a balanced flavor of salty & sweet - with a kick of spice to your taste. Set aside.
2. Prepare the garnish. Toast the sticky rice on a non-stick pan on low heat, until the rice turns a golden brown color. The aroma is similar to popcorn. Then, remove from heat and place into a mortar and pestle. Grind into a fine powder, then set aside.
3. Gently mix all salad ingredients in a bowl, making sure not to bruise the herbs. Toss lightly to expel the natural oils and aromas. Put aside.
4. Ensure the steak is at room temperature before cooking. Chargrill or pan sear steak whole to desired doneness - we recommend rare. Allow steak to rest for at least 10 minutes.
5. Slice steak, then combine together with salad and dressing.
4. Sprinkle the rice powder over the top, and serve with green cabbage or iceberg lettuce.
*available at all good Asian markets