Miso Glazed Yumbah Abalone
October 28, 2020
- 5 x 7pc Yumbah Greenlip Abalone
- ½ cup Mirin
- ¼ cup Sake
- 3 tbsp Miso paste (yellow or white)
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Green onion, to garnish, sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Defrost abalone following defrosting guide here. Then shuck, trim, and clean. Instructions can also be found here. Also clean the shells and put aside for serving.
- Score the flat side of the abalone in a cross hatch pattern (see picture) and set aside.
- In a small saucepan combine the Mirin and Sake, and bring to the boil for 30 seconds. Turn down to a low heat and stir in Miso paste, sugar and sesame oil. Let reduce on a low heat for 5-8 min until glaze begins to thicken. Turn off and set aside.
- Place a pan on the lowest possible heat. Add olive oil and put abalone in pan, scored side down. Leave in the pan for 20 minutes without moving.
- Remove abalone from the pan and dice into cubes through scored lines, then add back to the pan. Still on low heat, add the miso glaze. Stir to thoroughly mix together.
- Increase heat if needed to help have a heavier glaze. The abalone should have a medium brown sear, with a glossy smooth finish. Spoon back into dry shell and garnish with green onions.
- Serve immediately.