Yumbah Greenlip Abalone with Pancetta & Yarra Vally Caviar
October 28, 2020
- 7 x pieces Greenlip Abalone (1 7PC pack)
- 1lbs whole Pancetta, or bacon
- Yarra Valley Caviar
- Micro greens, optional
- Defrost abalone following defrosting guide here. Then shuck, trim, and clean. Instructions can also be found here. Also clean the shells and put aside for serving.
- Heat a non stick pan on high heat - do not add any oil. Once the pan is warm, add the pancetta and turn down to a medium heat. Place a heavy saucepan on top to prevent the pancetta from curling.
- Cook for about 4 - 5 minutes each side. Take the pancetta out of the pan and let it cool. Leave the remaining pork fat in the pan, then turn heat to low.
- In the same pan as the pork fat, add the abalone pieces flat side down. Leave for about 5 minutes until the back side is warm to touch. Turn over and cook for a further 4 minutes. There should be a slight golden color on the edge.
- While the abalone is cooking prepare the pancetta. During cooling, the pancetta should become very crisp. Once cold, dice into small pieces and set aside.
- Remove the abalone pieces from the pan, then thinly slice. The center of the abalone should be warm to touch with a light opaque color.
- Place neatly back in the shell to serve, and sprinkle the crispy pancetta over the top.
- Add a generous amount of Yarra Valley Caviar, along with the micro herbs. Serve immediately.